Sore throat is simply pain, scratchiness of the throat that gets worse when you swallow anything.
One of the common causes of sore throat is pharyngitis. It is a viral infection, such as a cold or the flu. A sore throat caused by a virus heals on its own.
Streptococcal infection/ Strep throat: it is an uncommon type of sore throat which is caused by bacteria . Can be treated with antibiotics to future issues. Other causes of sore throat will need complex treatment for a lasting solution.
How to know you have a sore throat
1. Pain or scratchiness in the throat
2. Swallowing in a problem
3. This pain increases even as you try to eat/ swallow
4. Sore, swollen glands in your neck and jaw
5. Pus on your tonsils
6. Muffled voice
Other symptoms are
1. Runny nose
See the doctor when
• You notice you can’t breath with ease
• There’s difficulty in swallowing
For an adult, According to the American Academy of Otolaryngology, you should see a doctor when.
• When the sore throat exceeds one week
• You cant swallow freely
• Cant breath well
• Opening your mouth becomes difficult
• Lump in your neck
• Joint pain
• Blood in saliva
• Fever shoots above 101 F (38.3 C)
• There’s recurring sore throats
4. Mononeuclosis (mono)
5. Common cold
Bacteria infections such as Streptococcus Pyogenes or Group A streptococcus.
• Muscle strain
• HIV infection
• GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease )
Risk factors include
3. Exposing one self to chemical irritants
4. Smoking tobacco
5. Weakened immunity
1. Avoid sharing water , food and drinks
2. Wash your thoroughly after eating, using the toilet, sneezing, and coughing as well.
3. Cough or sneeze in a tissue and dispose it. You could also sneeze in your elbow
4. Your sanitizers for hand should be alcohol based.
5. Avoid touching public phones or drinking taps with your mouth. It could lead to sore throat.
6. Sanitize your phones, TV remotes and computer keyboards regularly
7. Keep a distance when around sick people.
Drugs for sore throat
- Chloraseptic total plus
- Difflaim plus
- Capacol extra strenght