Is the leading cause of miscarriage, not your village people and she is not a witch. Its actually incompatibility of rhesus factor between partners ( Rh Factor).
What is Rhesus factor?
Is a protein that exists on the surface of the red blood cells in most people (about 85% of humans). It’s genetic in nature.
It’s an inherited protein from parents especially the father. If your blood has this protein, you are Rh + but if you lack it, you are Rh – .The sigh ‘’+’’ and ‘’-‘’ in front of your blood group determines if you are negative or positive.
How Rhesus factor does causes miscarriage:
Now if you are pregnant by a man with Rh – and also you are Rh- then there is no problem.
However if a Rh- woman is impregnated by Rh+ man then there is a problem, now during the pregnancy the mother ‘s blood doesn’t mixed with the child’s blood but in-case of delivery and you experience bleeding which comes in contact with the baby’s blood, your blood will produce anti bodies after exposure to the babies blood .
The first child has no problem but the next one coming might have serious issue because the activated anti –bodies will see the new Rh+ as a foreign bodies and consequently they will be at alert to attack the foreign body (baby) which might lead to miscarriage or a life threatening anaemia, a condition in which the red blood cells are destroyed faster than the body and replace. This will continue because the antibodies are activated.
Dangers of Rh-factor (Incompatibility)
• Once the anti-bodies are activated in a woman, they are always sensitive and they can’t be de-activated until woman dies.
• It might lead to continues miscarriage
• It can be activated in a Rh-woman by child birth, Abortion, miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy.
• If a Rh- woman commits an abortion for Rh+ man and these anti-bodies are activated, she might end up childless except she finds a Rh –man later.
NOTE: The chances of finding a Rh- man when you are Rh- is slim due to the fact that 85% humans Rh+ . Rh- person cannot receive blood from Rh+ person even if they are same blood group. Its dangerous.
• Know your rhesus factor (is a blood test).
• If you are negative as a woman, during your first trimester 28 weeks into your pregnancy at delivery and these anti-bodies are not yet activated, you will likely need an injection of a blood product call Rh immune Globuline or Rhogam to prevent your body from producing Rh antibodies during your pregnancy . You will need another injection shortly after delivery.
• Always remember your health care team of your Rhesus factor status during labor.
NB: The Problem is usually when the woman is Rh – and the man is Rh +.
This is important, let’s not only check for our genotype, blood group but also our Rhesus factor to prevent it.