The machine in checking blood glucose level is called glucometer.
Here is the basic way to check your blood pressure:
1. Sit the patients down, ask question on if he /she has eaten to identify (FBS-fasting blood sugar or RBS –Random blood sugar).
2. Set up the glucometer, a test trip and lancet.
3. Wash hands to prevent infection.
4. Turn up the glucometer and place the test trip in the machine.
5. Pierce the finger tip on the soft fleshy part of the thumb and obtain a drop of blood.
6. Place the blood on or at the side of the test trip.
7. The glucometer will take a few minutes to calculate the blood reading which is measured in mm of mmol/L or mg/dl.
4-6mmol/L is normal
75-115mg/dl is normal
To convert mmol/L to mg/dl is to multiply by 18 while to convert mg/dl is to divide by 18.
Note: Fasting blood sugar-when the patients has not eaten.
Random blood sugar: he /she has not eaten.