The Democratic Republic of Congo is facing the worst Ebola outbreak in the country’s history.
About 200 persons have been recorded dead even more, since August and almost 330 confirmed or probable cases have been reported.
This outbreak which is the second for this year surfaced in North Kivu province before it spread to Ituri province in the east of the country. This is the 10th time since 1976 that Ebola has struck the the country.
Minister of Public Health, Oly Ilunga Kalenga, said on Saturday that violence launched at the health officials and civilians by militant groups on ebola matters region have frustrated efforts to contain the outbreak.
According to the Minister, during one of the attacks, two health workers were lost. Also last month, 11 civillians and one soldier were killed in Beni, a city with 800,000 people and the epicentre of the outbreak.
“No other epidemic in the world has been as complex as the one we are currently experiencing,” Kalenga said in a video statement posted to Twitter.
Due to the fact that more than 1 million refugees and internally displaced people are in North Kivu and Ituri, and going by World Health Organization (WHO), this movement through and out of the provinces is a potential risk factor for the spread of Ebola.