An unamed 19-year-old died after he inhaled spray deodorant to get high in the Netherlands. The teen had been admitted to a rehabilitation center for abuse of marijuana and ketamine (a hallucinogen). He also took antipsychotic drugs, according to the report.
Report says, he unfortunately suffered relapse in July. During that time, he put a towel on his head and inhaled spray deodorant. Soon after, he became hyperactive and started jumping up and down. Then his blood flow stopped, he went into cardiac arrest, and he collapsed.
He was rushed to the hospital, where he couldn’t be revived. Then he was put under medically induced coma. When doctors realised that he was seriously brain damaged, they withdrew care nine days after he was admitted to the hospital. He eventually died.
It is surprising that simple deodorant could kill someone, but there are a few reasons this can be so deadly.
Jamie Alan, PhD, an assistant professor of pharmacology and toxicology at Michigan State University, tells Yahoo Lifestyle explains that spray deodorant has some kind of propellant, which is problematic.
“The hydrocarbons in the propellant do a number of things,” Alan says. “They replace oxygen in the blood, they cross into the brain and cause euphoria and hallucinations, they sensitize the heart to natural epinephrine and can cause arrhythmias or cardiac arrest, they damage the lungs and further hinder the body’s oxygen carrying capacity, and they act as a central nervous system depressant.” Of all of those, “the arrhythmias and decreased oxygen are the most likely to cause a seizure
Alan says. If you follow recommendation when using your deodorant, don’t be afraid, you are safe “If people use spray deodorant as suggested, there is little to no risk of this happening “You would have to intentionally inhale a relatively large amount.”